Frank Hester's ugly words about me are a reminder: all politicians, including Labour, must stand against racism | Diane Abbott

Hester may be the Tories’ biggest donor, but this is not only an issue for one party as the Forde inquiry showed

As we move even closer to the general election, race, whether explicitly or implicitly, is at the heart of the debate in British politics. And the issue is not just about a particular political party, but all of our institutions.

I was in the chamber of the House of Commons on Wednesday afternoon for prime minister’s questions. I wanted to put a question to the the prime minister about Frank Hester and his racist comments. Over the nearly 40 years that I have been an MP, under any speaker of the House of Commons that I can remember, I would have been called. I thought, in particular, that I would’ve been called on Wednesday, because Hester’s abusive comments about me had led the news bulletins that day, and I was referred to several times in PMQs itself. I cannot say why Lindsay Hoyle would not call me. He claimed there wasn’t enough time after going through those listed on the order paper. But I’m not convinced – and, the truth is, he can call on whoever he likes.

Diane Abbott is the MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/VYq31fU
via

Post a Comment

0 Comments