‘A night for growing up’: how a terrifying college ‘prank’ taught me about fear

Every day, men did far worse things than the soccer players did to me. But that night was the first time I accepted that the stranger coming toward me may not just nod

A few weeks into my first fall semester of college, I left our library around 11pm to walk to my dorm. The New England campus was quiet. The air smelled like pine trees and old rain, and my mind was full of Robert Hass, the California poet whose words I had been introduced to in class that week.

His poems were full of droopy trees and fog-soaked mornings, and I was surprised how swiftly my longing for Oregon had gotten caught between his words, gathering like lint in a comb. The nostalgia flustered me, revealing a homesickness I had so far kept tamped down.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/YoBvH3g
via

Post a Comment

0 Comments